New gTLD innovation
Whether they are restrictive or not, registries are there to offer registrants (those who buy domain names) more choice. It is also possible to use a domain name extension for a personal use: these are called .BRAND new gTLDs (specification 13). The problem with registries is that they are now...too many on the market of domain names and registration volumes clearly show that the results expected are just not there.
Selling domain name is not the only option
New applicants for a domain name extension believe that selling domain name through the network of accredited registrars is the only way to make a registry profitable: "on the paper", that is correct but there are different ways to do this.
At Jovenet Consulting, we see what's happening with all these registries who strongly believed that they would sell thousands (millions) of domain names in their first year of business. This has just not happened for most of them and various methods have been tried to change this, but which have worked?
- Giving domain names away has show that renewals did not come with it;
- Selling at a very low price does not work: many of these domains - when they are renewed - are often used for phishing, spam, malware propagation, completely destroying the image of the registry;
- Selling at a ultra high price might be profitable but I have been trying long to find out about this and none of the registries I asked the question to ever answered to me;
- Selling Premiums domains: I read what registries say about them and I sincerely want to believe what they write but do you launch a registry to sell Premiums?
- Parking domains has shown that it cost more to renew a (good) domain name than the benefit generated from advertising.
Round 2 is coming...
...and many candidates don't want to submit a new gTLD application to find out that it will cost them more to maintain than the revenues generated by the sale of their domain names to the network of accredited Registrars.
There are specific TLDs with potential to consider and new method(s) which have proved that selling domain names - as a Registry - can be profitable. At Jovenet Consulting, we are happy to help you considering innovation instead of playing the standard way.